Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Richer You Get, The Less You Give


As another friend's birthday rolls by with just a card from me (do e-cards count as real cards?), I'm left to wonder where the gift of giving has gone to in our old age. I remember when I was the poorest (high school, college, and grad school -- ok, so basically all my life except maybe the last 2 years) that I would treat my friends to extravagant birthday presents like dinners at the most expensive and posh restaurants in the city, theatre tix, designer accessories, etc. -- anything that were extraordinary to celebrate the day. Precisely because we didn't have any money at the time, these presents were seen as worthwhile, fun and indulgent.

But now that we are all in secure jobs -- some of us more secure than others, with 6 figure salaries and 5 figure bonuses -- the presents have dwindled to a card (paper), an email, or just a call that turns into a voice message or text message.

It seems like the more money we all have, the less we are giving to each other. Are we all becoming tightfisted scrooges?

1 comment:

chanchow said...

I don't think we've gotten scroogier. I think we've gotten busier and lazier. That high paying job takes up a lot of time and energy. These days, I hardly shop for myself. How am I going to shop for my friends? Plus, if your friends have jobs, then it's extra hard to find time to meet up.

P.S. I don't think an e-card counts.