Thursday, February 15, 2007

Get Thee a Shovel!


So it finally happened. Exactly 1 year after I moved here -- the big storm. I was stuck at home all day yesterday-and went a little stir crazy. The lake behind me is completely frozen and all white-people have been walking across it to get to the other side! After the storm, I dug my car out today-my first attempt at being suburbia girl was pretty bad-I went out there to look at my car and realized that although the snow was up to my thighs, I didn't even have a shovel. I had to ask one of my neighbors (Strapping Young Lad #1) (hereinafter "#1") to borrow his. After 10 mins of huffing and puffing, I dug a sizable hole behind my car. Got in the car and moved the car about 1 feet before it started burning rubber. Strapping Young Lad #2 (hereinafter "#2") came over and said, "Hey, you almost got it. Just need a bit more. " And he proceeded to take my shovel from me and started shoveling! #1 came to join him 10 seconds later and helps #2 out. (What is this?) After a couple minutes of this, they both decided that the only way I was going to get out was by pushing me out. So immediately Strapping Young Lad #3 dropped his shovel and came over! Then, they all smiled, took of their coats and started singing in unison and b-bopping (oh sorry, that last bit didn't happen- been watching too much American Idol).Well, as you can imagine, I was thrilled and bewildered at this Hoosier Niceness. What the hell are they doing? Why are they doing this? So what if I am this little 5 ft 3 Asian girl in last year's bright yellow Wellies shoveling out my beat up Volkswagen with a borrowed shovel? What about me screams City Slicker exactly? And even if I did look helpless, shouldn't u just walk by with a pitiful glance and keep walking like any normal person (in New York) would do?I guess not. #1, #2, and #3 got behind my car and told me to hit it hard. It took about 10 mins of turning my wheels this way and that, backwards and forwards, some more rubber burning and steaming. But I got out!Yeah! You think with all that, I would've gone somewhere crazy and stayed out for hours on end enjoying my freedom after being cooped up in the house for 36 hours straight-no I just went and got some kitty litter, bread and fruit at the grocery store down the street. Came back in half an hour only to find that some huge black SUV had taken my spot. So I wandered about almost 5 houses down to find another snow filled parking spot - which I will probably have to dig myself out again tomorrow.

4 comments:

chanchow said...

nothing like good ole midwestern kindness. chivalry is not dead!

when i lived in minnesota, my parents would have to shovel our driveway (or pay our neighbor to snowblow it for us). they would also let the car warm up for about 10 minutes before they drove it out of the garage.

are there lots of SUVs in indy?

JEM said...

SUV's everywhere and luxury SUV's to boot (my boss has a Lexus one). But my dream car is a mini cooper :-) have to learn to drive stick though.

You lived in Minnesota?!

chanchow said...

they make the mini cooper with automatic transmission. so your dream can come true... tomorrow!

JEM said...

I know. I did the research. But it seems like such a cop-out. I have vowed to learn to drive stick.