Friday, September 08, 2006

A Necessary Joint



I finally had a good 4 solid hours to sit down and watch When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts tonight. As an American, I feel ashamed that in the last 4 hours I thought more about Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it caused to the people of New Orleans today than I ever did during this time last year when New Orleans was just passing cocktail conversation at a trendy Manhattan bar.

Spike Lee Joints have always been notable films in my mind, but I can't say I've liked them all. But this documentary was worth every minute of the long 4 hours. This documentary did its job -- it brought the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to life in a raw and most humanistic way -- without cutting corners and without stuffing it down your throat. But the most alarming thing is not so much how many people died as a result of Katrina, how many people still are without FEMA trailers or how the clean up is still not done 1 year later. The most alarming thing is that despite knowing how badly we botched up in New Orleans, the Government continues to "slap a little puddy and put a band-aid on [New Orleans]" without taking care of a KNOWN problem once and for all.

Be Afraid, be very very afraid.....

No comments: